"I am anonymous in this world, a variable...X...in this equation; Unknown, I am...the X Faktor."

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Japanese Film

3 flicks recently I viewed....

Kagemusha




"When a powerful warlord in medieval Japan dies, a poor thief recruited to impersonate him finds difficulty living up to his role and clashes with the spirit of the warlord during turbulent times in the kingdom." -IMDb

Kagemusha means "Shadow Warrior". This totally threw me off, since I watched this film assuming it had a ninja that flipped out on everyone. Nope. No ninja(s). No fun for anyone.

The 1980 film by acclaimed Japanese director, Akira Kurosawa, nearly put me to sleep. I have never wanted a refund for the 1.5 hours of my life spent viewing a film, until now. I quit after half of the film was over, I just couldn't take it anymore, especially since I had Sword of Doom ready to be watched. If you have nothing better to do but wash your dentures, and desire to hone your patience skills, then this movie is for you!

Apparently, IMDb gave it an 8.0 (7.9 after I voted, lol)....maybe they hung in there for the other half of the film.

According to IMDb, I gave it a 6/10, meaning, it's good & long enough to fall asleep to on a nice Saturday afternoon.



the Sword of Doom

"Ryunosuke is a sociopathic samurai without compassion or scruples. When he is scheduled for an exhibition match at his fencing school, the wife of his opponent begs Ryunosuke to throw the match, offering her own virtue in trade. Ryunosuke accepts her offer, but kills her husband in the match. Over time, Ryunosuke is pursued by the brother of the man he killed. The brother trains with the master fencer Shimada. In the meantime, however, Ryunosuke earns the enmity of the band of assassins he runs with, and it becomes a question of who shall face him in final conflict." -IMDb

The film was great. Plus, it stars Toshiro Mifune, who is friggin sweet, in my opinon.
8.0 on IMDb, and the same from me.
2hrs long.


Zatoichi (2003)


"Blind Zatoichi makes his living by gambling and giving massages. But behind his humble facade, Zatoichi is a master swordsman, gifted with lightning-fast draw and strokes of breathtaking precision. Zatoichi wanders into a town run by sinister gangs and a powerful samurai. He's destined for violent showdowns when he stumbles on two beautiful geishas avenging their parents' murder... Duels, wit and a touch of zen! Cult anti-hero Zatoichi is back in a sword-fighting adventure written, directed and starring Takeshi Kitano." -IMDb

I loved this film, and I have no idea why it scored lower than the previous mentioned films. (7.6/10) Maybe, because it is, in fact, only 5 years old....and for some reason, new films don't get the respect that they should until they get to be at least 30 years old. Sad day. Oh well, I enjoyed it, that's for sure.

Lots of CG blood. "The blood in the film has been described by many as being "too CGI". Kitano did this intentionally, wanting to "soften the shock to the audience" due to the high body count. Kitano told the CGI artist he wanted the blood to "look like flowers blossoming across the screen."'

Good film, watch it.

No comments: